On June 13, 2018, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) issued a notification containing a warning that Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) actors have targeted Cleared Defense Contractors (CDC) for attack in the near future.
APT actors attempt to infiltrate contractor network systems with phishing messages, watering hole redirects and hacked credentials. Once inside a network, they exfiltrate sensitive data.
The FBI believes that the 2017 WannaCry and NotPetya attacks signal possible attacks in 2018. Previous attacks have coincided with national holidays.
Recommended preventative measures include:
- Ensure anti-virus software and firmware is up-to-date
- Monitor employee logins outside of business hours
- Close unused ports
- Provide training to employees regarding cybersecurity threats
- Issue company-wide warnings regarding suspicious email messages
- Exercise extreme caution toward all incoming messages
Berenzweig Leonard is teaming up with Red Team Consulting for a monthly newsletter featuring upcoming contracts, key protest decisions, events, and more. This post was published in the June Monthly Insights newsletter. To sign up for Monthly Insights, please click here.