Special Counsel – Intellectual Property Litigation
8300 Greensboro Drive
McLean, Virginia 22102
Clyde Findley focuses on the legal protection of software and related intellectual property, as well as cyber security and business litigation. These specialties are a natural evolution of a 20-year first career as a software developer.
Many of Clyde’s early years included executive positions in upper management as well as ownership of two small software engineering companies. From that broad base of engineering and business experience, Clyde provides counseling and advice on a variety of technical and business issues. He is just as comfortable in court as he is in a boardroom.
As a litigator with business and IP law experience, Clyde’s practice covers software patent and copyright disputes, from pre-suit investigations through expert discovery, motions practice, settlement negotiation, trial, and appeal. His cases have involved many different computer-related technologies, including object linking and embedding, vehicle interface and control systems, variable data printing, network monitoring, digital music, and navigation.
On the transactional front, Clyde drafts and prosecutes patent applications, files copyright registrations, and prepares many different kinds of agreements relating to the protection of intellectual property. He has also prepared opinions covering patent validity, enforceability and infringement. Clyde’s technical subject matter experience includes real-time control systems, games, combat simulators, telecommunications, language compilers and translators, database management systems, and business methods.
RECENT REPRESENTATIVE MATTERS
(DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE, AND THE CASE RESULTS STATED BELOW DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY CLYDE FINDLEY OR BERENZWEIG LEONARD)
- Quantum Systems Integrators, Inc. v. Sprint Nextel Corporation, No. 1:07-cv-00491, E.D. Va.
- R.R. Donnelley v. Kodak, No. 06-032, D. Del.
- Hayes v. Penny & Giles, No. 2-04-3084, D. N.J.
- Curtiss-Wright v. Velan, No. 04-CV-1157, W.D. Tex.
- Weyer v. Network Solutions, LLC, No. 04-119
- Leapfrog Enterprises, Inc. v. Fisher-Price, Inc., No. 03-927, D. Del
- Sightsound.com v. Napster, No. 04-1549, W.D. Pa.
- Sightsound.com v. CDNow, No. 98-0118, W.D. Pa.
- US 2016/0210518 - Systems and Methods for Controlling the Recording, Storing, and Transmitting of Video Surveillance Content
- US 2016/0210355 - Searching and Classifying Unstructured Documents Based on Visual Navigation
- US 2016/0019458 - Systems and Methods for Recognizing Objects in Radar Imagery
- US 9,569,728 - Deriving Semantic Relationships based on Empirical Organization of Content by Users
- US 9,341,547 - Automatic Re-Loading Air-Sampling and Pneumatic Transport System
- US 9,159,251 - Magnetic Fastener for Competitive Athletics
- US 6,381,345 - Method and Apparatus for Detecting Eye Location in an Image
- Unfair Competition and The ITC, Actions Before the International Trade Commission Under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, 2004
- Getting Patently Offensive, C|Net News.com, January, 2004
- Software Developers Can Relax, Decoding IP Blog, 2016
- Avoiding Software Patent Quicksand, Decoding IP Blog, 2015
- Patent FAQs: What Happens During the Patent Process? , Decoding IP Blog, 2015
- Patent FAQs: How Much Does it Cost? , Decoding IP Blog, 2014
- Patent FAQs: Why Do I Need a Patent Attorney? , Decoding IP Blog, 2014
- USPTO Sees New Examination Policy through Alice's Looking Glass, Decoding IP Blog, 2014
- Alice v. CLS Bank: Abstract Idea + Generic Computer = Sorry, No Patent, Decoding IP Blog, 2014
- Patent Infringement Gets Costly: Time to Pay Up For Filing an Unreasonable Case, Decoding IP Blog, 2014
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, Member
- IEEE, Member
- ACM, Member
- Intellectual Property Law
- Corporate & Technology Law
- Cybersecurity Law
- Business Litigation
- George Mason University School of Law,
- Juris Doctor, Cum Laude, Litigation Concentration
- Managing Editor, George Mason Law Review
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Graduate Study in Computer Science
- George Washington University, Graduate Study in Computer Science
- James Madison University, Bachelor of Science
- Major: Mathematics
- Minor: Biology
- District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan