Steve Britt is a corporate and technology attorney with deep experience in business and technology issues and complex transactions. He represents U.S. and international clients in the hardware, software, internet, data hosting, Cloud, government contracting and professional services industries.
Steve’s technology practice also includes cybersecurity, data security and privacy issues across the full range of data protection issues (HIPAA, FTC, COPPA, PCI, DoD, EU and state data breach laws). Steve is also a Star Mentor at MACH-37, Virginia’s Cybersecurity incubator located in Herndon. He has represented a broad range of software and data hosting companies and negotiated agreements with major national companies such as IBM, Northrop Grumman, SAIC, Raytheon, Ericsson, Bell South, MCI and others.
Steve is active in the start-up community and brings a unique understanding of the business, legal and investment issues faced by entrepreneurs and founders. For example, he counsels clients on the best choice of business entity, the proper form of founder and shareholder agreements and the optimal structure of capital investments with seed, angel and venture capital firms. He often makes referrals to potential investors and negotiates the terms of such transactions.
He has represented clients at 1776, Acceleprise, Halcyon House, Revolution, Keiretsu Forum and other early stage venues. His willingness to mentor clients through the early stages of formation, technology development and investor recruitment – sometimes on flexible fee structures – distinguishes him from many other lawyers to assist client growth.
Steve has also served in several Federal government agencies in various senior executive and legal capacities, providing him a unique understanding of the culture and operation of Federal agencies and the legislative and regulatory process.
- Member, MAVA (Mid-Atlantic Venture Association)
- Member, NVTC Tech Innovations Committee
- Member, NVTC Cyber-Security Committee
- Member, MIT Enterprise Forum Program Committee
- Executive Director, Federal Housing Finance Board
- Principal Deputy General Counsel, Department of Housing & Urban Development
- Congressional Director / Legislative Counsel, Department of the Interior
- Deputy General Counsel for Programs, Department of Energy
- General Counsel, Civil Aeronautics Board