Intellectual Property Results
DISCLAIMER: CASE RESULTS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- Successfully defended small company accused of infringing a patent and a copyright involving a movie game; achieved complete dismissal of the case. Glasser v. Barboza, et al., Case No. 1:17-cv-0322 (E.D. Va. 2017)
- Motion for summary judgment granted, dismissing a seven-count complaint in its entirety, which claimed over $55 million dollars in damages alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, conversion, violation of the Arkansas, North Carolina, and Virginia trade secret laws, intentional interference with business expectancies, and unjust enrichment. Integrated Direct Marketing, LLC v. Drew May and Merkle, Inc., Case No. 1:14-cv-1183 (E.D. Va. 2015)
- Multi-year patent infringement litigation representing patent owner at both the district court and appellate level involving technology to crowd-source the creation of digital maps; successfully appealed district court claim construction ruling, achieving complete reversal and remand. TomTom, Inc. v. Adolph, No. 14-1699 (Fed. Cir.)
- Successfully defended small business against allegations of copyright infringement relating to Unix operating system software. Oracle America, Inc. v. Service Key, LLC, No. 4:12-cv-0790 (N.D. Cal.)
- Defended a government contractor and its sole owner against a former employer against claims of breach of duty of loyalty and fiduciary duty, breach of contract, violation of Virginia’s Uniform Trade Secrets Act, and intentional interference with contract, all seeking punitive damages and injunctive relief. Successfully defended against a motion to expedite discovery with the court specifically finding that the former employer was unlikely to succeed on the merits and could not show irreparable harm, which a ruling subsequently resulted in the former employer withdrawing its motion for preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order. ForceX, Inc. v. Technology Fusion, LLC et al., Case No. 4:11-cv-00088 (E.D. Va. 2011)
- Successfully defended large company in copyright infringement trial involving network monitoring software. Quantum Systems Integrators, Inc. v. Sprint Nextel Corporation, No. 1:07-cv-00491 (E.D. Va.)
- Supported counter-claim plaintiff in expert discovery portion of multi-firm patent infringement suit involving object linking and embedding software within Internet browsers. Research in Motion Ltd. v. Eastman Kodak Co., No. 3:08-cv-2075 (N.D. Tex.)
- Achieved voluntary dismissal with prejudice for defendant in a patent infringement suit involving automobile user interface software. 602531 British Columbia, LTD v. Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC, No. 08-cv-6023 (D. NJ)
- Represented defendant in patent infringement suit involving automotive air bag suppression technology; secured summary judgment of invalidity against all asserted patents. Automotive Technologies Int’l, Inc, v. Delphi Corp., et al., No. 2:08-cv-11048 (E.D. Mich.)
Selected Patents and Patent Applications
DISCLAIMER: THERE ARE A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE, AND THE RESULTS STATED BELOW DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE.
- US 2016/0210518, Systems and Methods for Controlling the Recording, Storing, and Transmitting of Video Surveillance Content.
- US 2016/0210355, Searching and Classifying Unstructured Documents Based on Visual Navigation.
- US 2016/0019458, Systems and Methods for Recognizing Objects in Radar Imagery.
- US 2016/0171567, Universal Feedback System with Site-Local Data Acquisition and Presentation.
- US 9,626,445, Search Results Modulator.
- US 9,569,728, Deriving Semantic Relationships Based on Empirical Organization of Content by Users.
- US 9,341,547, Automatic Re-Loading Air-Sampling and Pneumatic Transport System.
- US 9,283,444, Direct Contact Racquet.
- US 9,262,535, Systems and Methods for Semantic Overlay for a Searchable Space.
- US 9,159,251, Magnetic Fastener for Competitive Athletics.
- US 6,381,345, Method and Apparatus for Detecting Eye Location in an Image.