White Collar Defense Results
DISCLAIMER: CASE RESULTS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH CASE AND DO NOT GUARANTEE OR PREDICT A SIMILAR RESULT IN ANY FUTURE CASE UNDERTAKEN BY Berenzweig Leonard.
- The complete dismissal of export control charges brought by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Washington, D.C., against a South Korean exporter, including a landmark ruling on the seizure of a laptop at customs.
- Successful defense of an international consulting firm suspected of violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in connection with a contract in Dubai; the representation concluded with no charges being filed against the consulting firm.
- Defense of a former employee of the Blackwater consulting firm for alleged export control violations arising out of training provided to foreign soldiers deployed in Iraq; the representation concluded with no charges being filed against the client.
- Successful representation of a client indicted in New York state court with enterprise corruption, a class B felony; the case was resolved with a plea to a class B misdemeanor – the lowest level criminal offense in the New York state code.
- Trial victory over the SEC in the defense of a prominent financial broker in which the jury in federal court in New York found in favor of the client on all fraud charges.
- Prevailed in a sentencing hearing in federal court in Alexandria, Virginia, in which prosecutors sought to prove the client participated in a massive tax conspiracy; the court found there was no such evidence to support the government’s position and sentenced the defendant to probation, describing him as “a treasure.”