Terry O’Connor has been involved in Government contract law for more than 40 years, litigating, teaching, writing, and advising government procurement professionals in both the public and private sectors. Working for years with those on both sides of a government contract has provided him with a unique perspective that helps him successfully solve government contract problems.
He began as a federal government attorney and, for more than a decade, wrote government contracts and advised government employees on a wide range of procurement issues.
After leaving government service, he began advising government contractors on procurement issues. Over his lengthy career, Terry has practiced before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the various Boards of Contract Appeals. He has also prosecuted government contract protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (CFC).
While in private practice, he also continued to work with contracting officers and government procurement professionals as a government contracts instructor for Management Concepts, Inc. Since 1984, Terry has been regularly teaching government contracts law to contracting officers, contract specialists and other government procurement professionals. These courses include the FAR, Construction Contracting, Construction Claims, Contract Claims, Federal Contract Law, Federal Leasing Law, Advanced Federal Contract Law, Negotiation Techniques, and Procurement Ethics.
Clients benefit from this combination of teaching, writing, litigating, and working with procurement professionals from both government and industry. Terry has a comprehensive working knowledge and understanding of federal regulations, particularly the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR), and how these regulations can be used to creatively solve procurement problems.
- UNDERSTANDING GOVERNMENT CONTRACT LAW, 2006
- FEDERAL PROCUREMENT ETHICS, Rev. ed. 2009
- FEDERAL LEASING STEP-BY-STEP, 2003
- GOVERNMENT MANAGERS GUIDE TO GOVERNMENT CONTRACTS, 2014
- FEDERAL CONTRACTING ANSWER BOOK, CO-AUTHOR, 3rd. ed. 2013
- Recent Decisions, Federal Acquisition Report, 1987-present
- National Contract Management Association (NCMA) World Congress, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- National Veterans Small Business Conference, 2013, 2012, 2011
- National Procurement Technical Assistance Centers Conference, 2013
- Yearly Local P-TAC presentations: 2007-present
- Virginia State Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Board of Contract Appeals Bar Association
- National Contract Management Association