Nick Johnson’s practice focuses on employment and business law and litigation, as well as corporate transactions. Nick litigates cases and advises clients on a broad spectrum of employment matters including discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wage and hour collective actions. A large part of Nick’s practice is dedicated to post-employment litigation, both prosecuting and defending actions relating to the breach of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, employee raiding, misappropriation of confidential information and trade secrets, tortious interference with contracts, and unfair competition. Nick has also litigated business matters involving breach of contract, defamation, civil conspiracy, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and other related business torts.
Nick is an experienced litigator and has actively represented clients before state and federal courts throughout Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Maryland, and litigates in other states on a pro hac vice basis. Nick has experience handling administrative charges, mediations, arbitrations, and investigations. As a subset of his practice, Nick has extensive experience in emergency litigation and has secured a number of temporary restraining orders and injunctions protecting employers from employment-related matters that may adversely impact companies. He handles all aspects of litigation, up through and including trial.
Nick’s advice and counseling practice includes regulatory compliance, employment contracts and HR policies, investigating employee complaints, conducting anti-discrimination training seminars, implementing management incentive plans, as well as preparing and negotiating severance agreements.
Prior to joining the firm, Nick was an extern for Judge Elizabeth McClanahan of the Court of Appeals of Virginia, worked for the Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Office, was a summer associate at a large law firm in Charlotte, NC, interned at the general counsel’s office of a federal agency, and was a member of the William and Mary Moot Court Team. He is currently admitted to practice law in Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- Named to Virginia’s “Legal Elite” by Virginia Business Magazine for 2015
- “Rising Star,” Virginia Super Lawyers in Business Litigation, 2015 and 2016
- “Rising Star,” Washington DC Super Lawyers in Business Litigation, 2015 and 2016
- Fairfax Bar Association (Employment and Business Law Sections)
- Member, Board of Directors of Young Lawyers Section
- Deputy Vice Chair of Employment Law Section
- George Mason American Inn of Court
- Federal Bar Association (Labor and Employment Law Section)
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia, Pro Bono Employment Law Section